Translate

Thursday, March 21, 2013

My CPA that I refer to as "Clogged Pulmonary Artery"


And then there's this guy...

‘Tis the season to file our taxes kids. Now the only reason to be poppin’ bottles is if you're sure you have a beefy check coming back from the government. For the people that owe oodles of money you should probably just get it over with and jump before someone talks you out of it. I'm half kidding. But seriously, you should probably schedule the appointment with Dr. Coleman sooner than later.

To my surprise, I will be poppin’ bottles this year. My doll of a Mother recommended that I go to her CPA to get my taxes done not long ago. He’s good, he’s cheap, and most importantly he’s so fast you’ll freak, she says. I wasn't sure if she was talking about Jimmy Johns or tax refunds, but I just nodded my head and pretended to listen. I told her to make me an appointment and also asked if she could order me up a Beach Club with extra avocado and a pickle cut into fourths and have it delivered to my place. She said no and hung up. When it came time to leave for my appointment she insisted on warning me about a few things. Oh my God Mom, what the hell is wrong with him? I demanded that she spit it out before I walk into his office and am blind-sided by a wandering eye or a hook for a hand. She said, OH NO it is way worse! As I am sitting in the parking lot waiting for her to tell me, and debating whether I should go in or not, she finally gets to the point:

The building is really old so beware of the rank smell and the place looks like an episode of hoarders. Still cracking up and struggling to get her words out, she continues, he is also a little hard on the eyes but try not to stare. He is REALLY nice Ti, and our entire family goes to him to get our taxes done so please be kind! Uggggh FINE.

I was instructed to park in the back and to walk through the side door of the house. (The place was built in the early 1800’s and had been turned into his office space. I am 101% sure it was haunted.) After walking through a graveyard that was made specifically for lawn mowers, I had made it to the back door and walked right on in. I knew I was in the right place when I heaved open the door and was punched in the face with a stench so foul, even a skunk would have been offended. The hallway to get to his office was just wide enough that if I turned my body sideways, I could wobble to an open area. There were documents that had been stacked to the ceiling 132 years ago and had started closing in on me. My claustrophobia was now in full force while trying to avoid any paper-cuts that could possibly make me bleed out. 

All throughout the house there were old paintings of dead presidents hanging on the walls, and they had eyes that did not miss a beat. They were definitely watching my every move, so I had to be cautious with my facial expressions. When I passed the spare bedroom my curiosity got the best of me - if I was left with the unknown I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. Peeking in I saw close to 1,500 empty paint cans that were stacked from one end of the room to the other, all the way up to the leaky ceiling tiles. Okay, there are way too many cans for painting to be any sort of hobby and he sure as hell wasn't about to recycle all of these. Definitely weird - but I wasn't running for the hills just yet. When I came around the corner I caught a glimpse of a figure sitting in his office with another client. I didn't really get a good look at him, as he murmured for me to go to the front room and wait for him there.

I walked into the “waiting room” and was sure I had just taken a seat at The Addams Family dining room table. The drapes reeked of moth balls and white musk perfume and when I sat in a chair, a mushroom cloud of dust and debris blew out from under my ass. There was an old TV with a rusty antenna that was rolled in for my entertainment. I sat at the elongated wooden table long enough to get in three full episodes of Keeping up with the Kardashians. I found it incredibly difficult to see what sort of trouble Lord Disick was getting into with framed Woodrow Wilson giving me the stink eye. While I was in mid-text trying to tell my mom this shit had better be pro-bono the accountant had called me into his office.
 
Unclear of the odor that was seeping out of the walls, I immediately cracked the case when I took a seat at his desk. There was an entire seasoned rotisserie chicken rotting on a paper plate that had been chewed down to the bone, parked on the floor next to the overflowing garbage can. The chicken must have been there for a few days due to how dry the remnants of meat looked. I counted FIVE biggie sized McDonald's bags sitting next to the copy machine due to the lack of space left in the garbage can. It seemed the 2 for $5 Big Mac deal was a fan favorite. To the left of his feet were two large empty cartons of orange juice lying on their side without the caps. No cups needed I suppose. I was sitting in his dumpster of an office doing everything humanly possibly to try and stay alive for the next 30 minutes. I held my breath until I was blue in the face and right before I felt like I would pass out, I would take in minimal oxygen through my scarf. I could feel the disease in the air and my body was about to become the next host.

My friend was wearing a black button up dress shirt with a classy tie and what were clear to be black swishy pants below. Now I am all about a great pair of sweats, don’t get me wrong, but swishy’s? They had better be Nike, sir. I don’t think I am asking for much? I wanted to compliment his argyle tie, but thought it would be best to keep my Muslim appearance and continue to hide behind my scarf. Being a hefty man, he smelled of gangrene and used dental floss every time he opened his mouth to speak. With one glance anyone would have diagnosed him with type 2 diabetes, even if the carcass between his cankles didn't already give it away. I would say he had the world’s shiniest head but that would be putting it nicely - it looked like it had been slathered in bacon grease. 

With a George Costanza up-do he had two strands of hair that were long enough to technically call it a comb over. Popping through those guitar strings was something that I know I will have a hard time forgetting until my end of days. Through the two wet pieces appeared to be some sort of growth that he had picked and turned into a giant scab. Mom was right about two things: he was indeed difficult to look at, but was also the biggest sweetheart imaginable. I sat in the chair and watched his porky paws while they were hard at work trying to get me my money. As he finished filing my taxes, and with my foot half way out the door he called me back into his office. You dropped this, he said as he tried handing me my pen that I watched fall out of my purse 10 minutes earlier. One glance at his fingernails, and I said no worries, you can keep it! Thanks again for the salmonella! I mean SERVICES!

Cheers to Dead Presidents and Unintentional Taxidermy

Ti-Bag

No comments:

Post a Comment